Wiltshire Young Carers Service Update
During the last twelve months we have provided intensive support to 180 young carers and delivered 69 bespoke group work respite programmes. Highlights include; Residential leadership programmes at Oxenwood Outdoor Education Centre and environmentally focussed residential programmes at Magdalen Farm and Hazel Hill, Tall Ships residential adventures, our ‘Stay Safe’ project which includes young carers meeting with the Police, PCSOs and professionals from Motiv8, C4CK our social action and reward programme for young carers aged 13+, music projects and performances with Bath Phil, dance and arts programmes, adventure sports, healthy living activities and visits to the Science and Natural History Museums.
- 23 young carers in transition from primary to secondary education
- 16 to post 16 education
- two into University
- Advised 23 families on levels of appropriate care
- Supported 43 young carers on how to stay safe in their caring role
- provided equipment to an additional 10 young carers to keep them safe in their caring role.
We are extremely grateful to all of our funders for their continued support following our interventions
- 89% of young carers say they feel safer in their caring role
- 95% have said they have made new friends
- 87% have recorded an increase in self-confidence
The need for our work continues to grow with 92 new referrals received. We have an exciting summer respite programme planned including 19 different activities for young carers aged from 5-18 years ranging from arts to outward bound.